This is a quick-read piece meant to get you useful and interesting information quickly. I’m foregoing all of the “storytelling” so you can understand and use the info right away.
Our data and experience show that adding this markup can increase your traffic by up to 15%, your CTR by 50% or more and raise your SERP (search engine results page) rank – sometimes to the top of page 1.
What is Google FAQ Schema?
- A few lines of code (markup) provided by Google that you add to your webpage’s code that formats your frequently asked questions and answers (FAQs) in a way that Google likes (when Google likes something your page rank rises).
What does Google do with the schema markup?
- Google reads the markup/code and uses it to generate a rich snippet (enhanced search results) like the one below and often places the rich snippet high on the SERP. This FAQ-rich snippet shows a collapsible list under a typical SERP result.
Here are some things you need to know:
- Put FAQs (using the markup schema) on your product/services pages.
- Make the FAQs easy to find but don’t put them too high on the page because you need your sales and CTAs to remain the driver of the page.
- Write questions from the point of view of your customer.
- Write the FAQ sheet in an actual question-and-answer format.
- Keep answers short.
- Fully answer the question, don’t simply link to a different page.
- Start your answers to yes/no questions with “yes” or “no”.
How to Add FAQ Schema to Get Rich Snippets
- Create an FAQ page or FAQ section on one of your pages
- Write at least three questions, each of which are followed by relevant answers.
- Use either JSON-LD or Microdata to create the markup. (Google recommends JSON-LD.)
- We recommend using a free online FAQ schema generator. Two of these include:
- Copy and paste the questions and answers from your page into these generators.
- Make sure that the copy on your page and code in your script are exactly the same. If they’re out by even a comma your page won’t be eligible.
- Follow Google’s guidelines:
- Once you’ve added you’re FAQ schema test if it’s working. Copy and paste the page URL and run it through either of these Google tools:
- If your devs need more info send them here: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/structured-data/faqpage
In summary, why use FAQ markup schema…
- Provides an Instant Rich Snippet
- Opportunity for Your Snippet to Dominate SERP
- Increases page traffic (up to 15%)
- Improves CTR (can be over 50%)
- Generates Higher Quality/Converting Customers or Leads
- Connects to Voice Search (Google using FAQs alot for voice search)